With the weather hitting 90 degrees this week, I think it’s safe to say that bikini season is officially here. So in an attempt to shed off all that donut weight, Jason and I have really been trying to get into this whole “clean-eating” situation. And instead of our usual carb-loaded french-fry-onion-ring-deep-fried side dishes, I decided to make a healthy, protein-rich side dish. That is, after we’ve had our morning cup of coffees and maple bars.
Now instead of just serving up a boring old bowl of quinoa, I decided to have a little bit of fun with it and add in one of my all-time favorite veggies = mushrooms. Not only do they have an amazing distinct flavor but they also add a range of nutritional and health benefits right into your meal! And no, this is not a sponsored post for mushrooms. I just REALLY love mushrooms.
GARLIC MUSHROOM QUINOA
An easy, healthy side dish that you’ll want to make with every single meal!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook quinoa according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in quinoa until well combined.
- Serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan, if desired.