- 1 very large bunch of kale ribs removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of chipotle smoked sea salt or regular sea salt
- 1 can chickpeas 400 grams, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium butternut squash about 2 pounds, sliced into ¾-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup pepitas pumpkin seeds without the shell
- 1 tablespoon chipotle paste
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic or 1 teaspoon crushed
- 1 teaspoon Raw Spice Bar Chipotle Smoked Sea Salt or regular sea salt
- 1 pinch red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice about half a lime
To make the dressing add all of the ingredients to a small bowl or jar and whisk until combined.
Preheat oven to 420°F/ 215°C.
Add the diced butternut squash and chickpeas to a medium sized bowl and pour the chipotle sauce over the top. Use a spoon to mix it all together until everything is evenly coated. Spread the squash chickpeas in a single layer out on a large baking sheet and place in the oven to roast for 35-40 minutes or until the squash is tender and caramelize on the outside. Halfway through roasting take turn the tray around in the oven and give everything a quick stir.
When the squash and chickpeas are almost done in the oven get the kale ready. Place the chopped kale in a big salad bowl. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle a small pinch of the sea salt over the kale and massage the leaves with your hands by lightly scrunching big handfuls at a time. This should take about 30 seconds before the leaves grow darker in color and fragrant.
After you have removed the squash and chickpeas from the oven, let cool for about 5 minutes before adding to the kale. Top with the pepitas and toss everything to combine and enjoy.
This can be eaten hot or cold – keeps well in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Peeling the butternut squash is optional
Calories: 365 Fat: 20 g Saturated fat: 3 g Carbohydrates: 45g Sugar: 7g Fiber: 9g Protein: 8g